Fresh Beginning: 5 Steps Towards Health & Happiness (Q&A)Fresh Beginning: 5 Steps Towards Health & Happiness (Q&A) http://bodywhealth.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Sydney-New-Year-2015-NBC-News-2-1024x408.jpg 1024 408 BodyWHealth http://bodywhealth.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Sydney-New-Year-2015-NBC-News-2-1024x408.jpg
Dear Dr Carter, it’s the end of another tough year. I’ve been stressed at work and at home. I’m overweight and out of shape. I don’t feel good about myself but am determined to change this in the New Year. BodyWHealth is my resolution for 2015. Please help me? BSF
Dear BSF, I’m honored and excited to work with you. I can help you. Here is a simple outline with handy links to more detailed insight and guidance.
“The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be.” (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
- You must take 10,000 steps (includes your regular daily activity) on at least 5 days of every You can walk, run or step towards this goal, and I have advice on alternatives. Track your progress using a pedometer (step counter). Start slow. Seek medical advice first if you’re really out of shape or have other medical problems.
- Count your calories. If you’re overweight, you need to burn more calories than you’re eating. Period. Every successful diet uses this fundamental principle. Learn to count your calories. It is hard work at first, but important. Write it down (I use MyFitnessPal to track both exercise and calories).
- No Excuses allowed. Broadcast your commitment – write it down, tell your friends, post it on FaceBook. Set milestones and reward yourself generously. Come rain or shine, get it done. Bundle up when it’s cold, or go to the mall to walk indoors.
- Build the Habit. You’re going to re-wire your brain. It takes time, but it works. Science shows that the hardest work is behind you after 7 weeks. Use treats and tools to motivate and reinforce your new good habits. Do it for 7 days then reward yourself. Then 7 weeks. Big reward. Then 7 months. Huge reward!
- Believe and Celebrate. Picture yourself as healthy, happy, strong and young. The minute you believe, you will begin to plan, anticipate, expect and manifest health and happiness. Gratitude is a powerful foundation for change. Be thankful for what you have, for your determination and courage. Affirmation will be the fuel for your journey. Congratulate yourself often. Celebrate your milestones. Find friends who will affirm your progress and achievements.
I’m honored and excited to work with you. Don’t let anybody sell you a quick fix. They don’t work. This will be a journey of enormous, lasting value. Take time to digest all the information in this roadmap. Then journey with us. Visit often; either the BodyWHealth FaceBook page of the BodyWHealth blog. Subscribe for weekly updates. Enroll your friends and family to help you. Work with us towards the abundant riches.
If you have a question, please submit it via the connect tab. I try to answer all questions, either by direct email response, or by posting for all to see. I will not publish your name in public responses. Remember, there is no stupid question!!
Photo credit: 2015 New Year Celebration, Sydney; NBC News